Ink stains on seat cushions can render a car useless. You also want to keep your car's interior nice and clean, right? Ink is one of most stubborn stains and can be tricky to remove. If ink drips onto leather, fabric, or PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) upholstery, here are some easy ways to get rid of ink stains effectively.
Dispose of spilled ink immediately. Once stains have soaked into upholstery and hardened, they will be more difficult to remove. First, focus on blotting up excess ink with a dry towel or paper towel. Dry spilled ink with a towel or paper towel, you can apply a little pressure, but don't rub too hard to prevent stain from spreading. Blot as much ink as you can from outside to inside so that stain doesn't expand. Then, depending on type of upholstery, select one of stain removal methods below.
1. Non-leather seat cushion: use vinegar
Only a small percentage of car seat cushions are made from leather. Most car seat cushions are made from non-leather materials such as PVC.
Alcohol usually removes ink stains. Use 90% isopropyl alcohol, or you can use 70% isopropyl alcohol if you only have it at home. First, test alcohol on an inconspicuous area of the car's upholstery to make sure it won't damage upholstery material.
1. Apply some alcohol to a clean white cloth. Do not pour alcohol directly on stain.
2. Gently blot ink stain with a cloth. Don't rub too hard to make stain expand.
3. Repeat above process until white cloth no longer absorbs ink. When white cloth is soaked with ink, be sure to replace it with another cloth.
4. Rinse contaminated area thoroughly with clean water.
5. Lay a dry towel over stained area to soak up moisture.
Vinegar is great for removing ink stains. Its acid is effective at removing stains, it's safe to use on hands, and it's also eco-friendly.
1. Mix 1 tablespoon of dishwashing detergent and 2 teaspoons of white vinegar in a glass of water (about 250 ml).
2. Blot contaminated area with a soft cloth dampened with solution.
3. Wipe gently. Too vigorous rubbing can cause stain to spread.
4. Wait about 10 minutes and then wipe with a soft cloth dampened with cold water. Rinse stained area thoroughly. Repeat above process to remove cleaning solution.
5. Wipe off water with a dry towel.
Leather seat cushion: use alcohol
Ink stains are difficult to remove from leather, especially if ink has soaked into skin and hardened. The surface of skin is porous and easily damaged, so use methods in this section with caution.
Use dish soap and water
If stains are fresh, warm soapy water is sufficient to remove them.
1. Pour 1/2 teaspoon of dishwashing liquid into a small amount of hot water to make a cleaning solution.
2. Stir the cleaning solution until a lot of soap bubbles form.
3. Dip a soft cloth into lather.
4. Gently wipe ink stain with a soapy cloth. This can be repeated as many times as needed.
5. Rinse off cleaning solution with a clean damp cloth. Be sure to thoroughly rinse soiled area.
6. Dry water with a dry towel.
7. After that, use a leather care product to prevent future skin blemishes, and to replenish and retain moisture to avoid cracking after a long period of use.
Rubbing alcohol (preferably isopropyl) will remove ink stains from leather upholstery. It will easily remove freshly applied ink and may need to be reapplied several times for old stains. Test on an inconspicuous area of the seat cushion first to make sure leather is alcohol-resistant.
1. Dampen a white cotton cloth with alcohol. Do not pour alcohol directly on the skin.
2. Blot ink dry with a cotton cloth. The ink will begin to transfer to cotton. Don't rub hard, just press lightly to blot ink. Repeat this step several times until ink stain is gone. After cotton fabric is soaked with ink, be sure to replace it with a new cotton fabric to avoid staining seat cushion again.
3. Rinse contaminated area thoroughly with clean water.
4. Lay a dry towel over stained area to soak up moisture.
5. After that, use a leather care product to prevent future skin blemishes, and to replenish and retain moisture to avoid cracking after a long period of use.
You need to prepare