Regarding material of automotive fuel tanks, compared to iron fuel tanks, plastic fuel tanks are more expensive and safer. FAW-Volkswagen used competing models for comparison to keep costs down. The Jetta's fuel tank is made of a special plastic that explodes in at least 8 minutes after calcination at a high outside temperature, similar models use iron sheets that explode in less than 1 minute. This way you can also see what material your fuel tank is made of.
1. Features of metal fuel tank
Using two pieces of iron to weld together, if solder joints are weakly welded, it will leak easily. The collision of iron fuel tank is prone to dents, and dents are prone to rust after a long time, which will cause fuel tank to leak. If a metal fuel tank is hit hard, sparks can easily form and it is likely to catch fire and explode instantly.
2. Characteristics of an engineering plastic fuel tank
Engineering plastic fuel tank is one-time injection molding, divided into multiple layers, structure is more durable and impact resistant. Once engineering plastic fuel tank is collided or broken, fuel tank will not generate sparks and safety will be higher. The German company Mercedes-Benz has long recognized potential safety hazard of iron fuel tanks. As early as 1930s, Mercedes-Benz began using engineered plastic fuel tanks. European and Japanese car manufacturers began replacing iron fuel tanks with engineered plastic fuel tanks in 1970s. After 2000, over 90% of world's vehicles use engineered plastic fuel tanks.
3. Survey of fuel tank materials for luxury vehicles
1. Audi: engineered plastic fuel tank
2. BMW: engineered plastic fuel tank
3. Mercedes-Benz: engineering plastic fuel tank
4. Land Rover: engineered plastic fuel tank
5. Jaguar: Engineered plastic fuel tank
6. Lexus ES, NX, IS series: iron fuel tank
7. Volvo: engineering plastic fuel tank
8. Cadillac: engineering plastic fuel tank
9. Porsche: engineered plastic fuel tank
10. Acura: engineered plastic fuel tank
4. Why do car manufacturers use iron fuel tanks?
Automotive manufacturers use metal fuel tanks mainly because of cost concerns. For a model costing about 200,000 yuan, cost of an engineering plastic fuel tank is about 1,500 yuan, and cost of a metal fuel tank is about 900 yuan. difference between them is about 600 yuan. Using iron fuel tanks saves car manufacturers money, but what consumers pay in crashes can be a price in blood and lives.